Home / Licensure / FAQs


Frequently Asked Questions

Am I required to transfer my patient records and radiographs even if the patient has an outstanding balance? According to the ADA Principles of Ethics and Code of Professional Conduct, a dentist has an ethical obligation on request of either the patient or the patient's new dentist to furnish, either gratuitously or for a nominal cost, such dental records or copies or summaries of them, including dental x-rays or copies of them, as will be beneficial for the future treatment of that patient. This obligation exists whether or not the patient's account is paid in full.

While the Dental Practice Act does not address this point, there is an Arkansas statute which mandates that a copy of a patient's medical (or dental ) records be provided for the patient or the new practitioner for a nominal charge.

Does a home study course count toward my CE hours? Yes, if it relates to patient care and has a post test. For more information, see Article XIV of the Rules & Regulations.

Does CPR count toward my CE hours? Yes, since the length of CPR courses varies greatly, you need to keep notes in your CE file on the date, sponsor and length of the course. It counts hour for hour (i.e. 1 pm to 3 pm = 2 CE hours).

What happens if I don't have my required hours of CE? If you fall short of the required number (50 for dentists, 40 for hygienists, 2 for registered dental assistants), you would be unable to renew your license.

Which CE courses are acceptable? According to Article XIV, "only those courses directly related to the provision of services and patient care shall be considered for credit. Any course is acceptable which contributes to updating and maintaining the knowledge and skills of the dentist or dental hygienist in the treatment of the individual patient or the management of the dental practice or clinic."

How long must dentists keep copies of advertisements? Dentists are required to keep a copy of all printed advertisements for a period of two years.

Is there a "retirement status" for dental and dental hygiene licensees? No. Either your dental or dental hygiene license is active or you don't have one.

If I register my dental corporation or limited liability company (LLC) with the Arkansas Secretary of State's office, does that mean that it is automatically registered with the Board? No. In addition to registering with the Secretary of State, you must register with the Board. Go to Licensure Information/Applications for Dentists to download the Dental Corporation/Limited Liability Company Registration form. The corporation registration fee is $25.

Can anyone attend Board meetings? Sure. The Board meetings are open to the public and are held in the Main Street Mall building on the corner of 6th and Main Streets in downtown Little Rock. The meetings begin at 8:30 am. The public is welcome.

What is a service? The Board considers terms such as these to be services: restorative dentistry, cosmetic dentistry, aesthetic dentistry, dental implants, crowns, bridges, free exams, etc.

What is a fictitious name? A fictitious name is a name other than your own.

What is Healthcare Provider CPR? Healthcare Provider (HCP) is a course authorized by the American Heart Association. A comparable course is "CPR for the Professional Rescuer/AED". Other combinations of courses do not equal Healthcare Provider. It consists of the following 6 modules:

  • Adult and child CPR
  • Pediatric basic life support
  • Adult and child foreign body and obstructions
  • Two-man CPR
  • Barrier devices
  • Automatic external defibrillator (AED)

 ACLS and PALS can be substituted for HCP.

State Board of
Dental Examiners


Arkansas State Board of Dental Examiners
101 East Capitol Avenue, Suite 111
Little Rock, AR 72201
Phone: 501-682-2085

Contact Us | Google Map