Hygienists Licensure Information
Licensure by Examination | Licensure by Credentials
Licensure by Examination
A hygienist who has been licensed and practicing for less than five (5) years, and desires to practice dental hygiene in the State of Arkansas, may apply to the Arkansas State Board of Dental Examiners for a license to practice pursuant to the following requirements:
- Completion of a Board application with photograph taken within the last six months, signed on the last page. A fee of $100 (check or money order) must accompany the application. (Note: The application fee is non-refundable.)
- Be a graduate of a school for the education and training of dental hygienists approved by the Board and accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation. TRANSCRIPT: You must request and authorize the school to provide the Board with an official transcript with the school's seal and awarding of a degree from the school of dental hygiene. The transcript must be sent directly from the school to the Board office.
- Successful completion of the National Board Examination for Dental Hygiene, administered by the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE).
- Satisfactory completion of a clinical dental hygiene examination administered by one of the following: Southern Regional Testing Agency (SRTA), Western Regional Examining Board (WREB), the Commission on Dental Competency Assessments (CDCA), the Council of Interstate Testing Agencies (CITA) or the Central Regional Dental Testing Service (CRDTS). Acceptance of all five major testing agencies for clinical examination will be retroactive to January 1, 2013. Note: A clinical patient based component of the examination must be administered by the testing agency and successfully completed by the candidate in order to be accepted.
- Passage of the Arkansas Jurisprudence Examination: The jurisprudence examination is an open-book exam that covers the Dental Practice Act/Dental Corporation Act/Rules and Regulations of the Board. The exam will be emailed to you upon receipt of your dental hygiene license application and fee.
- A copy of a certificate showing current Healthcare Provider level cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification must accompany the application.
- Effective July 1, 2011, every person applying for a license must authorize the Arkansas State Board of Dental Examiners to conduct a complete criminal background check. Information on the background check will be mailed to the applicant when the Board office receives the dental hygiene license application.
- Official verification from every state where licensed (whether license is current or not) must be sent directly from the state board(s) to the Board office.
Note: The Board office will not discuss your application with anyone other than you. Feel free to contact the Board office with questions about your application at 501-682-2085 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.