Dental Licensure Information/Applications
Licensure by Examination | Licensure by Credentials | Specialty Requirements
Licensure by Credentials
A dentist who has been licensed and practicing continuously for the past five (5) years or more, and desires to practice dentistry in the State of Arkansas, may apply to the Arkansas State Board of Dental Examiners for a license to practice pursuant to the following requirements:
- Completion of a Board application with photograph taken within the last six months. A fee of $2,250 (check or money order) must accompany the application. Note: The application fee is non-refundable.
- Be a graduate of a school for the education and training of dentists approved by the Board and accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation. TRANSCRIPT: You must request and authorize the school to provide the Board with an official transcript with the school's seal from the school of dentistry which issued the DDS/DMD degree. The transcript must be sent directly from the school to the Board office.
- Successful completion of the National Board Examination for Dentistry, administered by the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE).
- Proof of successfully passing a clinical examination for licensure. Results of the clinical exam must be sent directly to the Board from the state or regional testing agency that administered the exam.
- Passage of the Arkansas Jurisprudence Examination: The jurisprudence examination is an open-book exam that covers the Dental Practice Act/Dental Corporation Act/Rules and Regulations of the Board. The exam will be emailed to you upon receipt of your dental license application and fee.
- A copy of a certificate showing current Healthcare Provider level cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification must accompany the application.
- Effective July 1, 2011, every person applying for a license must authorize the Arkansas State Board of Dental Examiners to conduct a complete criminal background check. Information on the background check will be mailed to the applicant when the Board office receives the dental license application.
- Official verification from every state where licensed (whether license is current or not) must be sent directly from the state board(s) to the Board office.
- Letters of recommendation: Letters from two licensed dentists - practicing in the same locale of the state where the applicant is or has been practicing, and attesting to the applicant's moral character, standing and ability - must be sent directly from the dentists to the Board office.
- Applicant must have letters from his/her state and local Dental Association Peer Review Committee (if there is one) submitted setting forth information of record concerning the applicant.
After your application is completed, you must present yourself before the Board during one of its regularly scheduled meetings for a personal interview. During the meeting, the Board will review your application and approve or deny your application for licensure. You will receive confirmation (via mail or email) informing you of the date and time of your interview.
Please note the following:
To be eligible for licensure by credentials, you must be currently licensed in the state from which you are applying, and must have practiced continuously for a period of five (5) years immediately prior to applying. To be considered as practicing "continuously", you must have actively practiced dentistry for a minimum of 1000 hours per year for the two calendar years immediately prior to the date of application. The qualifying hours of clinical practice must have been performed in the most current jurisdiction from where the application is being made. You may have participated in a post-graduate dental/medical education program during the five years in order to satisfy the five-year practice requirement.
Secondly, the Board office will not discuss your application with anyone other than you. Feel free to contact the Board office with questions about your application at 501-682-2085 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forms and Applications